>
-----



...punching on the walls of reality since 2005...
Puff House is embedded at the bottom of this page. Or click on the spitfire image above to go direct to my new blog, Puff House.

Through the Smoke...

Free Speech. NASCAR. Trivia. Bitching and moaning.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Neo-Redneck into...Free Speech. NASCAR. NFL. Trivia. Comic books. Nerd propaganda, Geek culture. Biting social commentary, bitching and moaning...WARNING: This is not journalism, mainstream or citizen. Anything presented is flavored by my diseased mind, my frustration and/or my sarcastic wit. Not necessarily in that order. You were warned.

Friday, September 30, 2005

The Smoking Lamp Literary Review...

Otherwise known as "What I'm reading now..."




Written by Clive Cussler and Craig Dirgo, the story is good enough to finish. If you are a Cussler fan, you'll enjoy it, but it won't be your favorite Cussler novel.

There is a lot of action involving an Ukrainian nuclear weapon stolen by Arabic extremists and a Western industrialist who wants revenge on the Arab world for his son's demise.

The story seems to be drug along by the plot instead of having a more organic flow. There is an almost mechanical feel to the story. I wished that the story were better constructed around the plot.

If you are looking to read your first Cussler book, don't read this one, but if you have been a fan for a long time and need a fix, this will do. But, it isn't a great book...it isn't a good book...it's a time filler.

The payoff was anticlimactic. The two unrelated threads finished up about a hundred pages apart. Add to this, the pacing and plotting seemed too cut and dried, and I came away with the feeling that there was never any real suspense. There was never any doubt that the protagonists were going to come through.

Sometimes, the hero should lose. Otherwise, the tension of the story is drained away and the plot seems more a series of events rather than a story.

I expected more. I wouldn't re-read this book.

I give it 2.5 out of 10 cigars.

puff

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


eXTReMe Tracker