>
-----



...punching on the walls of reality since 2005...
Puff House is embedded at the bottom of this page. Or click on the spitfire image above to go direct to my new blog, Puff House.

Through the Smoke...

Free Speech. NASCAR. Trivia. Bitching and moaning.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Neo-Redneck into...Free Speech. NASCAR. NFL. Trivia. Comic books. Nerd propaganda, Geek culture. Biting social commentary, bitching and moaning...WARNING: This is not journalism, mainstream or citizen. Anything presented is flavored by my diseased mind, my frustration and/or my sarcastic wit. Not necessarily in that order. You were warned.

Monday, December 19, 2005

The Smoking Lamp - JLU-2001's The Titans #9

TSL #68

...A WARNING AS ALWAYS, THE SMOKING LAMPS ARE SPOILER FILLED.

JLU-2001
The Titans #9

"Di vi ded We Stand"

By Mick Edwards

The West Coast Titans live. HA! Instantly recalls some of my favorite issues of the old pre-Wolfman and Perez Teen Titans book. Hey...can Mr. Esper and Captain Calamity be far behind??? Well...I can hope.

There is something about the image of Brazilian, nee supermodel turned superhero, Fire flipping off the android Hourman from the future. Funny stuff.

Could have expanded on the transition from bored, exasperated, belligerent people who didn't want to be there and wondered why they had even came to the "yeah, we're in" crowd who joined Flamebird on the T-Jet after the Troubalert went off.

Pharaoh Trinity and Zangi the Mad seem to talk like well...comic book characters. They are throwing down exposition, but not really telling us anything. Relax the "vile villain...dastardly do-gooder" talk and have them speak more like normal people, with the proviso that they will occasionally drop into that kind of speak a little since they are superheroes and supervillains. It was either Will Short or Barry Reese that gave me that piece of advice in a review of one of my first issues of The Replacements over at DC Heroes. I paraphrased what they actually said, cause, of course, I can't find it right now.

That said, the power portfolio and little bit of backstory that is apparent for Zangi and Pharaoh Trinity at this early stage is intriguing.

Good to see some cross continuity with Donna mourning the death of Kyle. I hope to reach back and do a Aquaman visiting Valhalla scene in a month or two after Dark Genesis. JLU has certainly put enough heroes in the Hall of Heroes there over the last year. We really need to start a "Book of the Dead" profile list on the site somewhere that would keep track of the fallen...of course, with rebirths and legacy characters that might become muddled at some point, but it would still be a good resource for other writers and the casual fan reading up on JLU-2001.

Okay...I'm at the end of the issue and I'm confused...Are Zangi the Mad and the Pharaoh Trinity the same person?

The fight scene seems like it was half to a quarter of what it should have been.

There was a good lead in. And despite the exposition being a little too light for my taste, the story was working up to the interlude...but after the interlude, we seem to rush to the end.

This held a lot of promise and I'm afraid it didn't deliver for me.

4.0 out of 10 cigars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


eXTReMe Tracker