>
-----



...punching on the walls of reality since 2005...
Puff House is embedded at the bottom of this page. Or click on the spitfire image above to go direct to my new blog, Puff House.

Through the Smoke...

Free Speech. NASCAR. Trivia. Bitching and moaning.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Neo-Redneck into...Free Speech. NASCAR. NFL. Trivia. Comic books. Nerd propaganda, Geek culture. Biting social commentary, bitching and moaning...WARNING: This is not journalism, mainstream or citizen. Anything presented is flavored by my diseased mind, my frustration and/or my sarcastic wit. Not necessarily in that order. You were warned.

Thursday, December 15, 2005

The Smoking Lamp - JLU-2001's JLA #37

TSL #67

...A WARNING AS ALWAYS, THE SMOKING LAMPS ARE SPOILER FILLED.

JLU-2001
JLA #37

"Identity Crisis"

By Curt Fernlund

Considering this story starts with Elongated Man's funeral and is called Identity Crisis, we begin with one of the wonderful juxtapositions that seem to be a hallmark of Curt's work. In mainstream DCU continuity, this would be Elongated Man at the funeral of his wife Sue, but here in our JLU, we see the other side of the coin. I'm not any happier with Ralph dead than I was with Sue, but getting a good story out of the tragedy goes a long way toward making it worthwhile. No pressure, Curt. HA!

Wow! Wally at the funeral...gut wrenching stuff. Well done. Though the Vixen who may or may not have been there confused me a bit...based on the Outsiders issue that lead into this...or rather is a fellow traveler in this...it could be Dr. Psycho playing with J'onn's mind.

The Meridian character is something of a mystery to me. I read some of the Primal Force books when they were coming out, but never really found the flavor of the series to my liking.

There are those words again, Behavior Modification. Evil words.

I love Skeets. He was always one of my favorite characters. I felt it was a mistake for him to be slung into the background in the JLI years. Good to see him getting used here.

"He was heaving with rage however, his fingers curling open and closed."
Love that description of a pissed off and parboiled Hawkman. Excellent.

WOW! Okay, Curt, that was the best transitional Dark Genesis scene yet. Why Greece though? The whole "turning to ash and blowing away on a wind that you can not feel"...excellent.

9.0 out of 10 cigars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


eXTReMe Tracker