>
-----



...punching on the walls of reality since 2005...
Puff House is embedded at the bottom of this page. Or click on the spitfire image above to go direct to my new blog, Puff House.

Through the Smoke...

Free Speech. NASCAR. Trivia. Bitching and moaning.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Neo-Redneck into...Free Speech. NASCAR. NFL. Trivia. Comic books. Nerd propaganda, Geek culture. Biting social commentary, bitching and moaning...WARNING: This is not journalism, mainstream or citizen. Anything presented is flavored by my diseased mind, my frustration and/or my sarcastic wit. Not necessarily in that order. You were warned.

Sunday, December 11, 2005

The Smoking Lamp-JLU-2001's Dark Genesis #1

TSL #64

...A WARNING AS ALWAYS, THE SMOKING LAMPS ARE SPOILER FILLED.

JLU-2001
Dark Genesis #1

"Let There Be Light"

By Various...but mostly by Curt Fernlund...credit where credit is due.


The opening with Superman and the Amazons vs. Darkseid and his minions is well done.

I'm sure all will be revealed in the fullness of time. The mystery that Orion fails to rudiment on, but being Orion, the warrior, rudimenting isn't his strong suit, is how did Darkseid overcome or escape the Source Wall.

I love Kanto. This character is Errol Flynn, if you don't know who Flynn is go rent a couple of movies. He's a rather evil Errol Flynn, but yeah, Errol Flynn.

And a Robin acting like Batman. "I could care less if he wants us in his city. The people need us." Paraphrasing there, but that was great.

And DG seems to be heralding Superboy/Conner Kent becoming more Super-like. Good.

Maybe the Dumbo the Elephant in bat suit and tiara piece can be reused someday when Captain Carrot and his Amazing Zoo Crew invade the mainstream JLU? HA!

Like the assassin work in the Deadshot piece. Played as a cool customer, very nice.

I still prefer Valor to be Mon-El. It's like when, over at Marvel, they call Vance Astro by the incredibly lame "Major Victory" name. Mon-El or even Mo-Nel or even M'onel or another iteration. I just prefer it. But that's a personal preference that is neither here nor there as it relates to the quality of the story in question.

The Valor appearance was well done. Ah...the silver, crystalline skull...my favorite.

I started to comment that we were heavy on appearances by the Bat family when Huntress showed up, but then, I realized that the Eradicator and Valor had just appeared and the Super family was being well represented as well.

Wow! Huntress is decidedly bloodthirsty. The seeing the Parademons as Bruce Wayne thing is great.

I won't comment on the Tempest piece in Atlan's Grotto since I wrote it. Look for more developments regarding the Grotto in the Aquaman-Dark Genesis issue, appearing in #16 of that title.

Was that some iteration of the Cosmic Cube? Or a modified Mother Box? You're not going to tell me are you? I'm going to have to read and find out, aren't I?

Ah well, with writing this good, there are worse things that I could be doing.

It doesn't feel like there was a missed step anywhere in this story. And with the many authors throwing in pieces of the puzzle that is a GREAT credit to the editors and the primary writer, Curt Fernlund.

Great stuff.

10.0 out of 10 cigars.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Mark,

As always your insight and comments are appreciated.

As to the Tempest Insert at Atlan's Grotto... GREAT stuff from my POV. It gives just a hint of mystery to an already intense and intriguing Aquaman Title that you are writing at JLU!

If I didn't know what was gonna happen down the road I would be writhing in my sleep trying to figure it out. Thank God I'm in the loop...

Keep up the GREAT work!

Curt
EIC
JLU: 2001

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha. Dumbo the Bat-Elephant. Wasn't a Zoo Crew reader but who knows what craziness will come out of DG! Thanks for the positive comments, Mark.

5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


eXTReMe Tracker