>
-----



...punching on the walls of reality since 2005...
Puff House is embedded at the bottom of this page. Or click on the spitfire image above to go direct to my new blog, Puff House.

Through the Smoke...

Free Speech. NASCAR. Trivia. Bitching and moaning.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Neo-Redneck into...Free Speech. NASCAR. NFL. Trivia. Comic books. Nerd propaganda, Geek culture. Biting social commentary, bitching and moaning...WARNING: This is not journalism, mainstream or citizen. Anything presented is flavored by my diseased mind, my frustration and/or my sarcastic wit. Not necessarily in that order. You were warned.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Brokeback Mountain...

I haven't seen it...and I'm not going to see it.

It's a gay cowboy movie. I just don't see where I relate to the material.

The New York media are saying that "you should go see this movie."

Hollywood is gushing about it.

The Golden Globes are giving it much critical love.

The morning news shows and the E!ntertainment shows are beating us over the head with it.

Looks like a real full court press is on to try and get Middle America to give this movie a look. Have to save the heathen, hillbilly from himself, make him go see a culturally opposite movie clothed in his culture.

Gay love story cinema, cowboy or otherwise, isn't high on my list of things to sit through for an hour and a half or more. Hell, I don't like sitting through Straight love stories, cowboy or otherwise. I'd rather go to the dentist.

So why in the hell would I give Brokeback Mountain a look...on Hollywood's word. Pfft, that's funny.

David Leavit over at the Slate commented on the movie and the "gay love story" saying it was a love story, not necessarily a gay love story. Well...when Joe Six-Pack looks up at the screen in Peoria or Waco or Billings and he sees two cowboys in love with one another...well, he's going to squirm and start working out his exit strategy.

Hope the producers, actors, and crew of Brokeback enjoy their critical acclaim. The stills and the previews make the movie look to have been beautifully made.

I just don't think its going to swing on the big tree in Middle America. No offense, but Brokeback isn't Philadelphia, reaching into the heart of America and bringing Tom Hanks with it. By the same token, Brokeback isn't Birdcage, making us laugh at ourselves as our foibles are pointed out to us, or Monster, a dark journey through a descent flavored by a love almost become obsession.

I could be wrong about Brokeback...but I doubt it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


eXTReMe Tracker