>
-----



...punching on the walls of reality since 2005...
Puff House is embedded at the bottom of this page. Or click on the spitfire image above to go direct to my new blog, Puff House.

Through the Smoke...

Free Speech. NASCAR. Trivia. Bitching and moaning.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Neo-Redneck into...Free Speech. NASCAR. NFL. Trivia. Comic books. Nerd propaganda, Geek culture. Biting social commentary, bitching and moaning...WARNING: This is not journalism, mainstream or citizen. Anything presented is flavored by my diseased mind, my frustration and/or my sarcastic wit. Not necessarily in that order. You were warned.

Thursday, November 03, 2005

The Smoking Lamp - 3 For 1

The Smoking Lamp #58, 59, and 60

3 For 1 covering Parts 4, 5, and 6 of the JLU-2001/Marvel 2000 JLA-Avengers Team-Up.

---------------------------------------

TSL #58

Marvel 2000
Avengers #38
Chapter Four:
CSA and Punishment!

Written by Curt Fernlund
Story by Chris Munn and Curt Fernlund

Dr. Midas is putting all of his eggs in one basket and just hoping they work. That seems odd. More like he put together a junkyard of equipment, along with Count Nefaria, and launched the lot into the Negative Zone. With his precious daughter…Maybe it’ll all turn out okay…hmmm.

So…Midas thinks there's no way his plan can fail. That is classic villain overconfidence. This is going to go badly. I can feel it.

Crime Syndicate vs. the Avengers. Mmmm, mmmm, good.

So a 60 year old vibranium-admantium alloy shield can hurt Ultra-Man. Good. Hope Cap survives the experience. I know it was unreasonable to want it. But I so wanted to see Captain America stomp the crap out of Ultraman. I know. I know. That is horribly fanboy of me…so shoot me, I like Cap.

Johnny Quick as dope fiend always freaks me out when I read it. Its well done here.

Johnny Woo may be a bad ass. But taunting Super Woman might be a bad idea. Okay…maybe not. Maybe Johnny Woo is a bad ass, plain and simple. Cool stuff.

HA! God, I love Cap’s shield. Greatness.

The CSA didn’t match up with the Avengers nearly as well as the Squadron Supreme matched up with the JLA last issue. Maybe if the Heroes of Angor/the Justifiers had a bigger profile they would have been just what the doctor ordered. Anyway, cool fight.

Why Owlman instantly assumes that the JLA are coming is a little beyond me? But it does set up the big fight for next issue.

I think the crossover is cresting and receding like it naturally would. Last issue marked a crest. And I fully expect it to crest again. This story suffered for some reason. It might be more a function of the way the Avengers and CSA match up than anything wrong with the story itself. And though I’m giving it a lesser rating than last issue, this is still a damned good story.

7.0 of 10

---------------------------------------

TSL #59

JLU-2001
JLA #32
Avengers/JLA teamup
Part Five: All Out War
By Chris Munn

HA! Hawkeye recognizes them as enemies instantly. I would posit that it is the foul influence of the Jemas and the Quesada on all the characters of that universe. HA!
I hope there’s an explanation of how Wanda and Thor knew that GL had killed someone. With the precognition that Owlman exhibited out of left field in the last issue, it seems too cut and dried.

Alright. I should have thought about the Arcanna effect from the conflict with the Squadron Supreme issue before last.

And Duh! I had forgotten about Owlman’s ability to momentarily dominate the minds of others without their knowledge. Its not too much of a leap from that ability to his being able to sense minds that he has dealt with before and knowing that the JLA were the ones coming through the rift.

The scenes involving Nefaria and Oubliette are the best put together of the lot. They seem the most natural in the way they are presented. They would have made a good Odd Couple for a Super Villain Team Up-style story at some point. I said would because I expect one or both of them to be dead by the time we hit the end of the crossover.

Wow! The award for Best Entrance that I gave to the CSA last issue…I’m taking back. It belongs to Annihilus. Cool.

No way. You didn’t just kill the Surfer, did you? Well, at least Nefaria is skydiving into the Exploding Atmosphere along with him.

Black Canary vs. Hawkeye: This left me conflicted. I wanted Dinah to win. But I didn’t want Clint to lose. Bummer.

Black Panther vs. Batman: This is one of the best matchups so far in the crossover.

The Martian Manhunter vs. Warbird: Hmm, he attacks by pummeling her chest. Is this the Power Girl strategem? Sorry. Had to be said.

Wow! The building that the fight is taking place on will need to be demolished…if it survives the fight between the Avengers and JLA.

Could the anger manipulation/amplification be part of the Arcanna effect or from the anti-energy bleeding into the posi-matter universe. Hmmm?

Flash vs. the Beast: Good stuff.

I like the impromptu guest apparition of Mr. Terrific. Always good to have Plas around.

Okay…Wow! The cliffhanger endings in this crossover are great. This one…Annihilus, Thor killing or almost killing GL…Wow!

The Avengers and JLA fighting each other leaves me conflicted. The writing and the battles were well done. It just gives me heartburn watching these two heroic configurations of my youth beat the crap out of one another.

Good stuff.

8.0 of 10

---------------------------------------

TSL #60

Marvel 2000

Avengers #39
Avengers/JLA teamup
Part Six: The Cosmic Bond
By Curt Fernlund and Chris Munn

Nice to see the handle that you guys have on Constantine. I’m cool. I smoke. I’m a bad ass with a bad attitude. I’m John Constantine. HA!

Love getting to see Dr. Occult. One of my favs.

And Constantine being an ass to the Phantom Stranger as he delivers his catch phrase is great.

One of my favorite lines of the series so far. “Y' gotta put these poofs in their places once in awhile, luv. They do tend t' get uppity, know what I mean?”

I’ve never been able to get a handle on Adam Warlock. Is he supposed to be on the side of the angels or is it always his own side? Is he the Marvel Universe’s Metron, just out for his own goals and playing on the side of the good guys cause more often than not their goals coincide with his own? Shrug.

Thanos asking Genis to have faith in him. That would make a very nice comic book page. I can just picture the looks on their faces. As Pip stands behind them with a curl of smoke rising from his cigar.

I love how guest star rich the story is. Man-Thing, Ganthet, and Quasar. Excellent.
And one of my favorite Marvel villains of all-time puts in an appearance…Excellent.

8.0 of 10

---------------------------------------

If this peeks your curiosity, let me know and I'll email you the links to the stories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


eXTReMe Tracker